Thoughtful questions stemming from many kernels of curiosity characterized a voluntary after-school work session by MCLIMS teachers to build and refine their HUB lessons and update classroom pages on the campus website. This was an opportunity to get some support and assistance at point of need while collaborating with colleagues.
From this effort, along with ideas shared from colleagues on my campus and recent HUB Lead meetings, I've developed some specific strategies to ...
- Design digital components of lessons: Process of backwards planning through analysis of curriculum guides or upcoming 9-week cycle learning targets is driving force behind integrating technology strategically. Planning Guides are fundamental source of lesson content and design! They have online resources, guiding questions for engagement and exploration as well as Performance Tasks.
- Enable collaboration: Add teachers to one-another's CRS Sandbox. They can collectively build lessons and then together share ideas, workload, and expertise. Afterward, they have the option to copy files, folders, and resources into their own individul active courses.
- Support with Admin. Level Access: This level of course access allows campus admin.'s to add learning content to individual teachers and classes to support/model classroom tech. integration. This was an option I didn't realize was available to me!
- Take Advantage of 'Single Sign On' to provide an access point for relevant tools & content. When logged into the HISD Hub, students can not only access a variety of digital resources, they can also engage with digital media assigned by teachers within Discovery Ed. to meet specific learning targets. The Discovery Ed. platform also allows students to create their own content using the Board Builder tool. Any Discovery Education resource can be added to a board and students can further personalize their work and tell their story by uploading or hyperlinking their own images, videos, audio and documents. Students can also customize backgrounds, text formats, and templates.When students share a board, it isn't visible to the class until it is approved by their teacher. Teachers can also provide personalized feedback with built-in feedback option for students or groups. This document - 50 Ways to Use Board Builder - is a great source of ideas to begin building!
- Embed BrainPop Resource Pages: A resource page that links directly to a specified video can be added to a course folder though adding Ready-to-use Content from Library.
- Build in Custom Activities: While offline completing performance tasks or managing phases in a project, custom activities may be a useful mechanism for student task management and for formative assessment.
Our sincere thanks to Christina Estes, Houston ISD Hub Administrator whose expertise and support was extremely helpful to all! Thanks also to Olivia Hooper & Liang Guo for their phenomenal organizational planning and execution!
MCLIMS HISD HUB Training Flyers: